1897 - Henry Rucker appointed collector of Internal Revenue for Georgia
Henry Rucker appointed collector of Internal Revenue for Georgia, 1897
1984 - Evelyn Ashford wins a gold medal in the 100-meter
Evelyn Ashford wins a gold medal in the 100-meter race and Edwin Moses wins a…
1965 - President Signs Voting Rights Bill
President Lyndon Johnson signs the Voting Rights Bill which authorized the suspension of literacy tests…
1970 - Courthouse shoot-out
Four persons, including the presiding judge, killed in courthouse shoot-out in San Rafael, Marin County,…
1885 - William C. Carter patents an umbrella stand
African-American inventor, William C. Carter, patented an umbrella stand (U.S. patent#323,397).
Welcome to the knowhistory. KnowThyHistory.com website is to significant African American & events.
- 1Saturday1936 - Benjamin E. Mays
- 2Sunday1980 - Thomas "Hit Man" Hearns wins WBA Welterweight Title
- 3Monday1928 - First Black Daily Newspaper In Modern Times
- 4Tuesday1897 - Henry Rucker appointed collector of Internal Revenue for Georgia
- 5Wednesday1984 - Evelyn Ashford wins a gold medal in the 100-meter
- 6Thursday1965 - President Signs Voting Rights Bill
- 7Friday1970 - Courthouse shoot-out
- 8Saturday1885 - William C. Carter patents an umbrella stand
- 9Sunday1987 - Beatrice Foods is acquired by Reginald Lewis.
- 10Monday1981 - PUSH Boycott
- 11Tuesday1965 - Thurgood Marshall
- 12Wednesday1923 - Ophelia DeVore-Mitchell
- 13Thursday1953 - President Eisenhower established Government Contract Compliance Committee
- 14Friday1966 - Academy Award winning actress Halle Berry was born on this date.
- 15Saturday1938 - Congresswoman Maxine Waters born on this date.
- 16Sunday1958 - Angela Bassett, actress born on this date
- 17Monday1990 - Jazz artist Pearl Bailey dies
- 18Tuesday1935 - Rafer Johnson, is born
- 19Wednesday1989 - Desmond Tutu Defies Apartheid Law
- 20Thursday1942 - Musician Isaac Hayes born
- 21Friday1936 - Wilt Chamberlain born on this date.
- 22Saturday1989 - Huey P. Newton killed
- 23Sunday1900 - National Negro Business League organized in Boston
- 24Monday1854 - John V. DeGrasse admitted to Massachusetts Medical Society.
- 25Tuesday1886 - American National Baptist Convention
- 26Wednesday1960 - Branford Marsalis, jazz saxophonist and icon, born on this date.
- 27Thursday1963 - W.E.B. Du Bois died
- 28Friday1963 - March on Washington
- 29Saturday1958 - Musician, Michael Jackson was born,1958 on this date
- 30Sunday1983 - Lt. Col. Guion S. Bluford Jr. The first Black US astronaut enters space.
- 31Monday2002 - Jazz great, vibraphonist, Lionel Hampton dies at age 94.