1989 - First issue of Emerge magazine goes on sale.
First issue of Emerge magazine goes on sale.
1989 - Gordon Parks' film The Learning Tree is registered in the National Film Registry
On this date in 1989, Gordon Parks' film The Learning Tree is registered in the…
1981 - Protest Against Reagan Administration
On this date in 1981, more than 300,000 demonstrators from labor and civil rights organizations…
1956 - First International Conference
On this date in 1956, theFirst international conference of Black writes and artists met at…
1941 - Otis Redding, singer born
On this date in 1941, Singer Otis Redding born in Dawson, GA
Welcome to the knowhistory. KnowThyHistory.com website is to significant African American & events.
- 1Tuesday1977 - Death of Ethel Waters
- 2Wednesday1966 - Professional baseball player, Frank Robinson was named MVP of the American League
- 3Thursday1990 - Jonathan A. Rodgers becomes president of CBS's television stations division.
- 4Friday1981 - Singer Beyonce Knowles born on this date.
- 5Saturday1899 - J. Ross patents Bailing Press
- 6Sunday1960 - Rafer Johnson won the Olympic Decathlon
- 7Monday1954 - The start of Integration for MD public schools, and Washington DC public school.
- 8Tuesday1957 - Tennis champion, Althea Gibson, wins a US National Tennis Championship
- 9Wednesday1968 - Arthur Ashe, the first winner of the U.S.Open
- 10Thursday1976 - Death of Mordecai Johnson
- 11Friday1959 - "Duke" Ellington get's the Spingarn Medal for his musical achievements.
- 12Saturday1992 - Dr. Mae Jemison becomes First African-American woman in space.
- 13Sunday1998 - Andre Braugher wins Emmy
- 14Monday1921 - US Cabinet member, Constance Baker Motley was born on this date.
- 15Tuesday1971 - Inmates seized Attica State Correctional Facility
- 16Wednesday1990 - Keenan Ivory Wayans's In Living Color wins an Emmy for Outstanding Comedy Series.
- 17Thursday1787 - U.S. Constitution approved with three clauses protecting slavery
- 18Friday1971 - Jada Pinkett Smith, actress, born on this date.
- 19Saturday1989 - First issue of Emerge magazine goes on sale.
- 20Sunday1987 - Alfre Woodard wins an Emmy on this date.
- 21Monday1891 - Inventor, FW Leslie, patents the envelope seal, 1891
- 22Tuesday1998 - Sprinter Florence Griffith-Joyner (Flo-Jo) dies on this date.
- 23Wednesday1979 - Lou Brock becomes MLB all-time steals leader.
- 24Thursday1965 - Executive Order 11246 issued on this date.
- 25Friday1974 - Barbara W Hancock becomes the first Black woman named a White House fellow.
- 26Saturday1981 - Tennis sensation Serena Williams born on this date.
- 27Sunday1954 - School Integration Begins
- 28Monday1991 - Jazz Innovator Miles Davis dies
- 29Tuesday2001 - Figure skating pioneer Mabel Fairbanks dies on this date
- 30Wednesday1991 - Mike Powell broke the world long jump world record when he jumped 8.95 meters.