1924 - Ruby Dee (Born Ruby Ann Wallace) was born on this day.
Ruby Dee (Born Ruby Ann Wallace) was born on this day.
1974 - Muhammad Ali regains world heavyweight boxing title.
Muhammad Ali regains world heavyweight boxing title.
1991 - BET Holdings, Inc. initial public offering on the NYSE on this date.
BET Holdings, Inc. the parent company of Black Entertainment Television sells 4.2 million shares of…
1899 - W.F. Burr patents railway switch
W.F. Burr patents Switching device Oct.31,1899 Patent # 636,197
1951 - Jet magazine founded
Jet magazine founded by John H. Johnson, publisher of Ebony magazine.
Welcome to the knowhistory. KnowThyHistory.com website is to significant African American & events.
- 1Thursday1966 - Black Panther party founded in Oakland, California.
- 2Friday1967 - Thurgood Marshall is sworn in, and becomes the first Black Supreme Court.
- 3Saturday1995 - Ex-football star O.J. Simpson is cleared of murder on this date.
- 4Sunday1971 - Elgin Baylor announces his retirement from the Los Angeles Lakers.
- 5Monday1932 - Congresswoman, Yvonne Burke, born on this date.
- 6Tuesday1917 - Activist, Fannie Lou Hamer, born on this date.
- 7Wednesday1993 - Writer, Toni Morrison, awarded the Nobel Prize in literature on this date.
- 8Thursday1969 - Police officers and Blacks exchanged sniper fire
- 9Friday1991 - Latasha Harlins killed on this date.
- 10Saturday1946 - Singer, Ben Vereen, born on this date.
- 11Sunday1991 - Redd Foxx dies on this date
- 12Monday1999 - Basketball legend, Wilt Chamberlain, died at the age 63 on this date
- 13Tuesday1924 - Comedian Nipsey Russell born on this date.
- 14Wednesday1964 - Martin Luther King Jr. wins Nobel Peace Prize on this date.
- 15Thursday1991 - Judge Clarence Thomas is confirmed to U.S. Supreme Court.
- 16Friday1995 - Million Man March
- 17Saturday1928 - Author Lerone Bennett, Jr. was born on this day.
- 18Sunday1968 - Bob Beamon breaks World long jump record on this date.
- 19Monday1960 - Martin Luther King Jr arrested in Atlanta.
- 20Tuesday1942 - Sixty leading Southern Blacks issue "Durham Manifesto" on this date.
- 21Wednesday1986 - George Alcorn patents fabrication of spectrometer
- 22Thursday1936 - Bobby Seale, Black Panther Co-Founder, born on this date.
- 23Friday1947 - NAACP petition on racism presented to United Nations.
- 24Saturday1972 - Death of Jack Roosevelt ("Jackie") Robinson on this date.
- 25Sunday1990 - Evander Holyfield knocks out James "Buster" Douglas in the third round.
- 26Monday1911 - Gospel singer, Mahalia Jackson, born on this date.
- 27Tuesday1924 - Ruby Dee (Born Ruby Ann Wallace) was born on this day.
- 28Wednesday1981 - Edward M. McIntrye elected Mayor of Augusta Georgia
- 29Thursday1974 - Muhammad Ali regains world heavyweight boxing title.
- 30Friday1991 - BET Holdings, Inc. initial public offering on the NYSE on this date.
- 31Saturday1899 - W.F. Burr patents railway switch