1974 - Barbara W Hancock becomes the first Black woman named a White House fellow.
Barbara W Hancock becomes the first Black woman named a White House fellow, 1974
1991 - Blood of Jesus added to the Library of Congress's National Film Registry
On this date in 1991, Spencer Williams's 1942 movie Blood of Jesus is among the…
1962 - Black Church Destroyed
ON thi sdate in 1962, A Black church was destroyed by fire in Macon, Georgia.…
1962 - Meredith again denied admission to University
On this date in 1962, Governor Barnett again defied court orders and personally denied Meredith…
1962 - Sonny Liston knocks out Floyd Patterson
On this date in 1962, Sonny Liston knocks out Floyd Patterson in the first round…
Welcome to the knowhistory. KnowThyHistory.com website is to significant African American & events.
- 1Thursday1977 - Death of Ethel Waters
- 2Friday1966 - Professional baseball player, Frank Robinson was named MVP of the American League
- 3Saturday1990 - Jonathan A. Rodgers becomes president of CBS's television stations division.
- 4Sunday1981 - Singer Beyonce Knowles born on this date.
- 5Monday1899 - J. Ross patents Bailing Press
- 6Tuesday1960 - Rafer Johnson won the Olympic Decathlon
- 7Wednesday1954 - The start of Integration for MD public schools, and Washington DC public school.
- 8Thursday1957 - Tennis champion, Althea Gibson, wins a US National Tennis Championship
- 9Friday1968 - Arthur Ashe, the first winner of the U.S.Open
- 10Saturday1976 - Death of Mordecai Johnson
- 11Sunday1959 - "Duke" Ellington get's the Spingarn Medal for his musical achievements.
- 12Monday1992 - Dr. Mae Jemison becomes First African-American woman in space.
- 13Tuesday1998 - Andre Braugher wins Emmy
- 14Wednesday1921 - US Cabinet member, Constance Baker Motley was born on this date.
- 15Thursday1971 - Inmates seized Attica State Correctional Facility
- 16Friday1990 - Keenan Ivory Wayans's In Living Color wins an Emmy for Outstanding Comedy Series.
- 17Saturday1787 - U.S. Constitution approved with three clauses protecting slavery
- 18Sunday1971 - Jada Pinkett Smith, actress, born on this date.
- 19Monday1989 - First issue of Emerge magazine goes on sale.
- 20Tuesday1987 - Alfre Woodard wins an Emmy on this date.
- 21Wednesday1891 - Inventor, FW Leslie, patents the envelope seal, 1891
- 22Thursday1998 - Sprinter Florence Griffith-Joyner (Flo-Jo) dies on this date.
- 23Friday1979 - Lou Brock becomes MLB all-time steals leader.
- 24Saturday1965 - Executive Order 11246 issued on this date.
- 25Sunday1974 - Barbara W Hancock becomes the first Black woman named a White House fellow.
- 26Monday1981 - Tennis sensation Serena Williams born on this date.
- 27Tuesday1954 - School Integration Begins
- 28Wednesday1991 - Jazz Innovator Miles Davis dies
- 29Thursday2001 - Figure skating pioneer Mabel Fairbanks dies on this date
- 30Friday1991 - Mike Powell broke the world long jump world record when he jumped 8.95 meters.