1984 - Evelyn Ashford wins a gold medal in the 100-meter
Evelyn Ashford wins a gold medal in the 100-meter race and Edwin Moses wins a…
1965 - President Signs Voting Rights Bill
President Lyndon Johnson signs the Voting Rights Bill which authorized the suspension of literacy tests…
1970 - Courthouse shoot-out
Four persons, including the presiding judge, killed in courthouse shoot-out in San Rafael, Marin County,…
1885 - William C. Carter patents an umbrella stand
African-American inventor, William C. Carter, patented an umbrella stand (U.S. patent#323,397).
1987 - Beatrice Foods is acquired by Reginald Lewis.
Beatrice Foods is acquired by Reginald Lewis. It is the largest business acquisition ever by…
Welcome to the knowhistory. KnowThyHistory.com website is to significant African American & events.
- 1Sunday1936 - Benjamin E. Mays
- 2Monday1980 - Thomas "Hit Man" Hearns wins WBA Welterweight Title
- 3Tuesday1928 - First Black Daily Newspaper In Modern Times
- 4Wednesday1897 - Henry Rucker appointed collector of Internal Revenue for Georgia
- 5Thursday1984 - Evelyn Ashford wins a gold medal in the 100-meter
- 6Friday1965 - President Signs Voting Rights Bill
- 7Saturday1970 - Courthouse shoot-out
- 8Sunday1885 - William C. Carter patents an umbrella stand
- 9Monday1987 - Beatrice Foods is acquired by Reginald Lewis.
- 10Tuesday1981 - PUSH Boycott
- 11Wednesday1965 - Thurgood Marshall
- 12Thursday1923 - Ophelia DeVore-Mitchell
- 13Friday1953 - President Eisenhower established Government Contract Compliance Committee
- 14Saturday1966 - Academy Award winning actress Halle Berry was born on this date.
- 15Sunday1938 - Congresswoman Maxine Waters born on this date.
- 16Monday1958 - Angela Bassett, actress born on this date
- 17Tuesday1990 - Jazz artist Pearl Bailey dies
- 18Wednesday1935 - Rafer Johnson, is born
- 19Thursday1989 - Desmond Tutu Defies Apartheid Law
- 20Friday1942 - Musician Isaac Hayes born
- 21Saturday1936 - Wilt Chamberlain born on this date.
- 22Sunday1989 - Huey P. Newton killed
- 23Monday1900 - National Negro Business League organized in Boston
- 24Tuesday1854 - John V. DeGrasse admitted to Massachusetts Medical Society.
- 25Wednesday1886 - American National Baptist Convention
- 26Thursday1960 - Branford Marsalis, jazz saxophonist and icon, born on this date.
- 27Friday1963 - W.E.B. Du Bois died
- 28Saturday1963 - March on Washington
- 29Sunday1958 - Musician, Michael Jackson was born,1958 on this date
- 30Monday1983 - Lt. Col. Guion S. Bluford Jr. The first Black US astronaut enters space.
- 31Tuesday2002 - Jazz great, vibraphonist, Lionel Hampton dies at age 94.