1857 - The Dred Scott decision.
On March 6, 1857, the Dred Scott decision of the Supreme Court denied Blacks U.S.…
1942 - First cadets graduated from Tuskegee flying school
First cadets graduated from flying school at Tuskegee.
1825 - Alexander Thomas Augusta
Alexander Thomas Augusta, first African American faculty member of an American medical school, Howard University,…
1911 - Protest Against Black Firemen
White firemen of the Cincinnati, New Orleans and Texas Pacific Railroad struck to protest the…
1972 - First Black Political Convention
Through the 12th - three thousand delegates and five thousand observers attended the first Black…
Welcome to the knowhistory. KnowThyHistory.com website is to significant African American & events.
- 1Monday1960 - Alabama State Board of Education expelled nine
- 2Tuesday1867-Howard University, was established.
- 3Wednesday1990 - Carole Gist
- 4Thursday1968 - Poor People's Campaign
- 5Friday1985 - Mary McLeod Bethune commemorative stamp
- 6Saturday1857 - The Dred Scott decision.
- 7Sunday1942 - First cadets graduated from Tuskegee flying school
- 8Monday1825 - Alexander Thomas Augusta
- 9Tuesday1911 - Protest Against Black Firemen
- 10Wednesday1972 - First Black Political Convention
- 11Thursday1956 - Segregation Denounced in public schools
- 12Friday1964 - Malcolm X resigned from the Nation of Islam
- 13Saturday1957 - John Lee, becomes first black commissioned officer
- 14Sunday1933 - Quincy Jones was born
- 15Monday1933 - NAACP began a coordinated attack on segregation
- 16Tuesday1827 - First Black newspaper, Freedom's Journal, published in New York City
- 17Wednesday1946 - Jackie Roosevelt Robinson's professional debut
- 18ThursdayGeorge Monroe 1834-1886, Stagecoach Driver
- 19Friday1968 - Students Seize college building
- 20Saturday1852 - Uncle Tom's Cabin
- 21Sunday1965 - Selma March begins
- 22Monday1492 - Alonzo Pietro sets sail with Christopher Columbus
- 23Tuesday1916 - Marcus Garvey arrives in US from Jamaica
- 24Wednesday2002 - Halle Berry wins Oscar
- 25Thursday1965 - Selma March completed
- 26Friday1872 - Thomas J.Martin is awarded a patent for the fire extinguisher.
- 28Sunday1966 - Bill Russell named head coach of the Boston Celtics.
- 29Monday1955 - Football star Earl Campbell born
- 30Tuesday1870 - The 15th Amendment.
- 31Wednesday1931 - Cab Calloway recorded "Minnie the Moocher"-the first jazz album to sell a million copies.